[Cryptography] Apple's 13-month certificate policy

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun Feb 23 05:59:07 EST 2020

> ACME works great for Let's Encrypt, but I expect it'll work less great
> for CAs that want people to pay.  There's no techical problem to take
> a payment out of an account when they do a renewal, but I expect it'll
> be a business problem to persuade customers either to prepay a balance
> or trust some random CA reseller with their credit card info.
This is a very telling comment, for anyone to whom it actually applies:  They are willing to trust their CA to attest to their identity to everyone with whom they do business - who in turn must trust that attestation - but their credit card info ... well, no.  Rather revealing of what the CA business actually is.

                                                        -- Jerry