[Cryptography] With an e2e network, would the US still need to ban Huawei's 5G

Donald Eastlake d3e3e3 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 13:27:10 EST 2020

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:07 PM Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Chinese have only shown an aptitude at counterfeiting American
> ingenuity, I think it would be simpler to cut the middle man and trust
> Americans to protect Americans?

This sounds a lot to me like the racist trope that the
Japanese/Chinese/whoever can only do cheap knock-offs of the
inherently superior American stuff. If so, why is it generally
acknowledged that Huawei is 18 months ahead of the competition in 5G?
Sure, they are a Chinese company and the Chinese government could lean
on them if it choose to. There are reasonable arguments for trying to
keep your supply chain within your own country, although that is very
difficult in the modern world.  But doesn't it seem odd that among the
constant barrage of charges from elements of the US Government, they
never seem to be able to cite even a single instance of Huawei
actually spying? In any case, if you are interested in glancing at the
Huawei side of the argument, see
https://www.huawei.com/en/facts/voices-of-huawei/. For example, here
is the Huawei response to the most recent US Government criminal
indictment: https://www.huawei.com/en/facts/voices-of-huawei/media-statement-on-us-justice-department-indictment

Donald