[Cryptography] With an e2e network, would the US still need to ban Huawei's 5G

Christian Huitema huitema at huitema.net
Wed Feb 19 14:05:51 EST 2020

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 9:13 AM, Patrick Chkoreff <pc at fexl.com> wrote:
>
> In any case it looks like the Europeans are faced with a simple choice:
> who do they want to grab their metadata, and possibly even their data
> -- the Americans or the Chinese?

Or both. And whatever hacking team manages to penetrate the routers.

This is why we need metadata reduction on top of e2e encryption. SNI encryption of course, but also defense against application fingerprinting. Onion Routing for the masses would be nice too. Once we have that on top of e2e encryption, then yes we could treat the network as a compromised swamp and still maintain privacy. But today we don't.

-- Christian Huitema