[Cryptography] 'The intelligence coup of the century'

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Feb 15 17:17:01 EST 2020

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020, Bill Stewart wrote:

> The TEMPEST-shielded room we had in the mid-late 80s was good to about
> 120dB at 450MHz.  Since the VAX ran at 10 MHz, this wasn't too much of a
> risk, though the early Sun Sparc machines were probably 100 MHz and may
> have leaked some harmonics.

One of my clients in a previous life was HMAS Watson, which is a training
facility for the Royal Australian Navy (so I can't say too much); I was
responsible for maintaining their Unix boxes.

Anyway, the servers were supposed to be located in a shielded room (I
don't know whether it was supposed to be TEMPEST-rated) and one of the
officer's pagers went off.  He was flabbergasted, and posited that if that
stuff could get in, then what was getting out?

-- Dave