[Cryptography] Extracting TOTP credentials

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sat Feb 15 08:26:02 EST 2020

I use a client-provided VPN that requires a TOTP token.  I had been using Authy to store and deploy these tokens but recently decided that Authy is no longer trustworthy so I decided to write my own implementation of TOTP.  The problem I’m having now is that I don’t actually know how to extract the TOTP token from the provisioning system.  The TOTP standard calls for the token to be provided in base32 format but that is not what Authy uses (which is one of the many reasons I want to ditch it).  Instead, the key is provided as a sequence of seven four-digit alphanumeric sequences, similar to a Microscof software license key.  Does anyone here know how to convert one of these to a standard TOTP key?

Thanks,
rg