[Cryptography] Cryptographic archive format

David Kane-Parry dkp at ldd.org
Thu Dec 31 16:32:18 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 10:18 PM Jon Callas <jon at callas.org> wrote:
> I think you're making it harder than it needs to be. Yes, you need an
archive to work with in a subtree and never go out, I'm not sure you need
anything else.

> And really, I'm sure you can steal this from somewhere.

Pardon what might at first glance appear to be self-promotion, but I made
https://github.com/commit-dkp/xkcdcrypt in the fervent hope that the ideas
it expresses would someday be stolen by someone who wants to rid this
planet of "encrypted" zip files. To Jon's point, it does not express a new
archive format or compression algorithm, but merely wraps tar and bzip2
with a bit of modern cryptography. Please do not actually use it for
anything, but steal from it whatever you like!

- d.