[Cryptography] Bitcoin is a disaster.

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Dec 29 21:46:02 EST 2020

In article <Q2b8LgNb-Dm5VM2jbcrlDhLz3jpcAOdM9nxPlqoIUWAWz1_najnl2pczCYminHxb4q0GxPH2KpcFg_fgmwuaMgr7BG28zl0Og43zeC5rT7M=@makgill.ch> you write:

Yes, we know. I hear that no Bitcoin wallet could ever be stolen.

>Bitcoin can fix that. Like I said, 10 minute non-reversibility
>is better for merchants than the current chargeback window and
>should result in less fraud.

Fraud against the merchant, no doubt, but I am pretty sure I am not
the only person who would never do a large transaction where I had no
recourse. Some chargebacks are fraudulent, most are because the
merchant didn't actually deliver what it was supposed to.

I realize the issue of reversibility is a theological one for
cryptocurrency enthusiasts, but there are reasons that very few of us
make large purchases with envelopes full of cash.

R's,
John