[Cryptography] Am I missing something about CBDC ?

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Mon Dec 28 17:40:14 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 01:08:38PM -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> And if the transaction goes through the credit card avenue here in the
> US, it's much less expensive but not free; last time I knew what it
> cost, it cost about a bit (1/8 dollar) to process.  Stores usually just
> pay it. They take the hit and make that cost "invisible" to the user
> because making it easy for customers to pay lets the stores sell more
> stuff.

Businesses usually do this not because they want to, but because their agreements with credit card companies generally make it mandatory.  I'm sure many businesses would like to encourage their customers to use lower cost options than credit cards, but their hands are tied because of these agreements.

Apologies if this is going too far off-topic; just wanted to clarify the incentive model at play here.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/