[Cryptography] Solar Winds hack

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Dec 21 01:19:47 EST 2020

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:28 PM Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> I'm a bit suspicious of the timing of the announcement
> of this hack.
>
> Does anyone know when the hack was actually discovered?

Well stories about Solar winds execs dumping stock a few days before the
announcement...

Anyone paying attention will know that breaches never seem to hurt a stock
for very long. But its a bad smell.

> (BTW, SolarWinds are apparently winds emitted from where
> the Sun DON'T shine!)

What I am finding interesting is that so many people are going on about the
fact that a weak password was chosen.

All passwords become weak as soon as you stick them in a shell script and
upload the result to a public server...