[Cryptography] Am I missing something about CBDC ?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Dec 17 21:14:54 EST 2020

In article <37c63da3-c3a5-4930-e6dc-139b2985de57 at circuitsofimagination.com> you write:
>* The paper states that "here will be no purely anonymous wallets" and
>at the same time "Unhosted wallets will be possible" which to me are
>contradictory statements.

Same here. I still don't understand what a wallet is in this sense
other than an app storing a bunch of tokens that haven't been redeemed
yet.

>I think it would be helpful if you could give us specific questions and
>reference a specific CBDC implementation.

It's hard to say since there actually aren't any CBDC implementations.
My main concern was whether there was some new design significantly
different from the ones we've known about for the past 25 years, or
some way to prevent double spending in such a system other than by
having everyone agree on an authority to say which tokens are good.
The answers appear to be no, and the guy is confused.

R's,
John