[Cryptography] Am I missing something about CBDC ?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Dec 17 13:56:24 EST 2020

In article <CAMm+LwjrYQuoc9G6cGeugV1WBgi7tLqQK-8mKoxJ45c4szoOww at mail.gmail.com> you write:
>-=-=-=-=-=-
>
>On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 4:42 PM John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
>> The widely read Lawfare blog had this piece on Central Bank Digital
>> Currencies and money laundering by a financial crimes analyst:
>>
>> https://www.lawfareblog.com/central-bank-digital-currencies-threat-money-launderers-and-how-stop-them

>This is how I would do it.
> [ reinvents checking accounts, which is not a bad idea since they actually work ]

>Interbank transfers are then handled by a system of settlements that clear
>daily/hourly whatever.

I believe SEPA already has this. The US Fed is working on Fednow,
which is supposed to do realtime payments among US bank customers by
2023 or so, with a limit of about $20K.

But please look at the paper, which is not very long. I think that
CBDC are supposed to be central bank issued bearer tokens analogous to
paper money, but there's a great deal of confusion about what that
means and what it implies.

R's,
John