[Cryptography] The Military Wants to Hide Covert Messages in Marine Mammal Sounds

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Fri Dec 11 23:36:44 EST 2020

On 12/11/20 5:54 AM, Robert Hettinga wrote:
>> https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/the-military-wants-to-hide-covert-messages-in-marine-mammal-sounds/?ref=briefingday.com&curator=briefingday.com&utm_source=briefingday.com&utm_medium=email <https://www.hakaimagazine.com/news/the-military-wants-to-hide-covert-messages-in-marine-mammal-sounds/?ref=briefingday.com&curator=briefingday.com&utm_source=briefingday.com&utm_medium=email>

I suggest hiding spread-spectrum messages in ship screw and engine noises.

For close in communications, I suppose it depends on what other noises
are available to snuggle up to. Better not try this when and where
dolphins and whales aren't.

Though as the article suggests, to imitate natural sonar pings (not
communications) might be a nicer option. Sure, might not be perfect if
they want to ping at a depth and time and location where dolphins and
friends aren't, but that applies to secret communications, too, and when
blind and not wanting to be a colliding international incident in
non-international waters, it could still be a better option than some
industrial-strength/industrial-profile sonar ping.

Hmmm, something tells me the US Navy has a collection of different
magnitude and waveform pings when the really need to look but don't want
be caught trying.

The real stuff must be pretty interesting stuff.

-kb, the Kent who is a fan of spread spectrum.