[Cryptography] "Zoom's end-to-end encryption isn't

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Wed Apr 8 17:34:02 EDT 2020

On 4/8/20 8:52 AM, james hughes via cryptography wrote:

> I believe this is a textbook “convenience over security” case. From
> what I can tell Zoom is heads and shoulders above everyone else in
> terms of usability and scale.

That's probably true as stated.
So far so good.  However.....

>  The vase majority of its uses are
> teaching elementary through college classes. Not the most security
> needed applications.

Security is never about the "majority" case.  The adversary gets
to choose when & where to attack.

Suppose I am teaching modern world history.  In the class there
are foreign students of many flavors and colors.  It would be a
Bad Idea™ to have repressive foreign governments eavesdropping
on all the discussions.

Also, without being too specific, I know of political party
officials who have *already* had campaign strategy meetings
over Zoom.

One longs for the good old days when attackers had to actually
do some work to capture John Podesta's emails.