[Cryptography] TRNGs as open source design semiconductors

Joachim Strömbergson joachim at strombergson.com
Thu Sep 12 03:54:31 EDT 2019

Aloha!

On 2019-09-11 18:45, Ken McCall via cryptography wrote:
> To my knowledge there are no open source TRNG chips commercially
> available on the market. There are however, discrete component plans
> available, but not widely adopted (http://www.bitbabbler.org/).

The Cryptech project includes totally open designs for two separate
entropy sources (TRNGs) as well as a complete random number generator
that is driven by the entropy sources.

https://cryptech.is/

The first entropy source is a classic avalanche noise based source
implemented using simple, discrete components. There are PCB designs for
a version on a separate module (which was used on the Novena), as well
as a version integrated onto the Cryptech Alpha board.

https://trac.cryptech.is/browser/user/ft/stm32-avalanche-noise

The second entropy source is based on digital ring oscillators similar
to what has been discussed here previously. This entropy source is
intended to be implemented in FPGAs and ASICs. The entropy source
contains 32 free running digital oscillators which are sampled and
combined after a number of cycles (currently 256, if I remember
correctly). The design also includes support for whitening/conditioning.
The second source has been tested in several different FPGAs from
Altera/Intel, Xilinx and Lattice.

https://trac.cryptech.is/browser/core/rng/rosc_entropy

The complete random number generator extracts entropy from both sources
to update a seed generator based on SHA-512. The generated seeds are in
turn used to initialize the ChaCha based DRBG.

https://trac.cryptech.is/browser/core/rng/trng

The entropy sources as well as the whole chain has been extensively
tested by the Cryptech project as well as third parties. And since the
design is totally open, others can do at will too.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the generator as well as the
Cryptech project.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Yours