[Cryptography] Need some help regaining access to a server

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Wed Sep 11 20:09:07 EDT 2019

An acquaintance of mine is a close relative of one of the victims of the dive boat fire that killed 34 people in southern California on Sept 2.  This person left behind a server whose hatches are pretty tightly battened down.  I’ve volunteered to help regain access to the server.  I was able to recover the victim’s ssh key and log in to the server, but unfortunately sudo access is password protected so that has me stuck.  I also have their SHA512-hashed password from a backup.  Is there anyone here who can help either point me to a recent (Debian 3.2.102-1 x86_64) Linux local privilege escalation exploit or a good password cracker that I can use to try to get root on this machine?

Thanks,
rg