[Cryptography] Jim Baker explains encryption to us

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Oct 23 16:27:37 EDT 2019

In this longish piece in the Lawfare blog, former FBI counsel Jim
Baker reiterates his take on the encrpytion debates.  There's a certain
amount that makes me want to bang my head against the wall, e.g.

  After working on the going dark problem for years, I'm confident
  that this problem can be addressed from a technical perspective. In
  most cases, it's just software, and software can be rewritten.

But it's worth reading to remind us of what the other side is
thinking, even with a lot of motivated reasoning that makes him
conclude that Congress can pass some laws and the going dark
problem will be solved.  (Please do not write and explain why
he's mistaken.  We all know why.)

https://www.lawfareblog.com/rethinking-encryption

R's,
John