[Cryptography] NSA FOIA: Fifty Years of Mathematical Cryptanalysis

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Sat Oct 5 11:10:14 EDT 2019

On 04/10/19 08:54 PM, John Young wrote:
> NSA FOIA: Fifty Years of Mathematical Cryptanalysis, Unknown author,
> 1988. 100 pages.
> Formerly Top Secret Umbra Laconic Nocon Code Word

Thanks for this pointer.

The document reminds us about NSA mission and internal culture.

"[...] academic mathematicians slowly but surely discovering our secrets
and publishing them openly. [...] Our lead is bound to diminish."

"[...] software cryptography can be replaced overnight which means that
attacks must be developed under time and pressure, if at all; it may not
even be cost effective to attack usages of software cryptography that
change too frequently. On the other hand, it is more difficult than most
people realize to devise secure cryptography and therefore we may expect
frequent software changes at least occasionally to produce highly
exploitable systems."

Regards

- T.