[Cryptography] A two key file/program

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue May 28 14:11:39 EDT 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 10:41 PM Allen Schaaf <
netsecurity at sound-by-design.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for a program or file system to run on Windows
> 7/8.1/10 to keep data protected that requires two separate keys
> used at the same time to open the file. It needs to be like the
> missile launching system that was created using two physical keys
> at the same time to prevent one crazy person from starting a war.

If this is a bank with safe deposit boxes they have a two key physical
model in place to leverage.
The common safe deposit box has two keys and while there is normally a
common bank
key that need not be fixed.  Magic words, phrases or YubiKey devices can be
two key physical
locked.  The vault door is a third lock.
Since digital encryption cannot be drilled like a physical lock it makes
sense to use a safe deposit
box as a safety measure should someone be hit by a car or other
irreversible catastrophe.
Common chain of custody tape and signatures can add a tamper evident audit
layer to objects
in the SD box which might be keys to a different box.