[Cryptography] Dieharder & /dev/urandom

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Wed May 15 00:24:26 EDT 2019

Michel Arboi wrote on 15/05/19 1:17 AM:
> I played with Dieharder (evolution of the famous Diehard statistics tests)
> There was a known bug wth 500 & 501 generators (/dev/random and /dev/urandom):

Here is an article which goes through a very thorough step by step analysis of
an RNG using Dieharder to demonstrate how to interpret WEAK results by using
them to refine the testing to get more certain results.

http://www.bitbabbler.org/test-data/dieharder.html

One important point of the article is that a result of PASSED does not mean
that the RNG has passed a test, it means that it has with high probability not
failed; a result of FAILED means that it has with high probability failed; and
a result of WEAK indicates uncertainty in the results, not that the RNG is
close to passing or close to failing a test. WEAK is an indication that you
need to make the test stronger (e.g. with more p samples) until the
uncertainty is resolved one way or another. The article is a demonstration of
how to do that.