[Cryptography] OS and encryption for quantum computing machines

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri May 3 12:41:46 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 2:01 AM Natanael <natanael.l at gmail.com> wrote:

> Den fre 3 maj 2019 03:42Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> skrev:
>
>> There a number of security assumptions in *nix and WindowZ
>> operating systems with regard to passwords, encryption and more.  Do these
>> assumptions fail on a Quantum computer (that we have yet to see)?
>>

> (First of all, disclaimer: I'm not an expert on this. The information
> below is a summary of what I've read about quantum computers so for.)
>
> The typical quantum computer won't run an OS in the quantum components.
> They'll just repeat the same algorithm over and over.
>
> Every construction proposed so far uses classical computers, qubit
> hardware (superconductors, suspended electrons, etc), something that link
> together the qubits, and control hardware. From an algorithmic perspective,
> the quantum setup is treated as a blackbox function.

> Quantum key recovery on AEZ: https://eprint.iacr.org/2017/767.pdf

Thank you.
It seems that the early hardware will be connected to cloud hardware.
That does make the cloud host a target, from inside or outside.

Black boxes ;-)

So it seems prudent to tighten up cloud OS systems and policy yesterday
knowing how long it takes to retire a cryptographic method and how quickly
hardware can be connected to a cloud system.
Key management will be interesting.

Thank you

--
   T o m    M i t c h e l l