[Cryptography] OS and encryption for quantum computing machines

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu May 2 21:38:43 EDT 2019

There a number of security assumptions in *nix and WindowZ
operating systems with regard to passwords, encryption and more.  Do these
assumptions fail on a Quantum computer (that we have yet to see)?

I have not yet seen a discussion of an OS that is crypto strong to deploy
on quantum hardware that is well capable of cracking oldschool encryption
mind set assumptions.
I am not sure Quantum hardware qualifies as a primary CPU for the OS but it
might.

Is it sufficient to toss any older encryption method that is not quantum
resistant and replace with resistant methods?   Even as an IO channel slave
device they are potentially able to amplify a modest exploit (as are GPU
devices today) but more so.

Are people thinking about the OS side of this?

Thanks,
Tom

--
   T o m    M i t c h e l l