[Cryptography] Paper Link:

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Thu May 2 17:18:48 EDT 2019

> On May 1, 2019, at 3:08 PM, Mark Steward <marksteward at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 10:48 PM Gerard Cheshire
> <Gerard.Cheshire at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Dear List Members,
>>
>> The peer-reviewed paper titled The Language and Writing System of MS408 (Voynich) Explained is now published in the journal Romance Studies: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02639904.2019.1599566
>>

> Hahahahahhahahahahahha
>
> 1. Not related to cryptography.

I disagree, and even with my moderator's hat on. The Voynich manuscript is a document that people have puzzled over, debated if it's a real language or not, and many of the past analyses have used cryptanalytic methods, as well as the sort of information theory and reasoning that is common to discussions of cryptography. There are those who think that it is ciphertext. The question, "Is <bitstring> ciphertext, plaintext in an encoding we don't know (and if so, what's the encoding), or just gibberish?" is a fine cryptographic question.

> 2. Is this the same paper as https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/003737 ?

I wondered the same thing, myself.

	Jon