[Cryptography] Mix Messaging in the Mesh

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Thu Mar 21 21:57:12 EDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 2:47 PM Ralf Senderek <crypto at senderek.ie> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
> > In particular, where is the optimum tradeoff between security and
> complexity?
>
> Answer: Maximum security and minimum complexity.
>
>     --ralf
>
> PS: And why do you think the other stuff is of any substantial importance?

Because if security is going to be any use to people it has to be easy
enough that a 60+ year old grandmother who left school before the Internet
arrived can use it because she is the US Secretary of State.

We have tried the maximalist approach to security for 30 years and it has
been a complete failure. We have one widely deployed Internet security
protocol and it is limited to the transport layer.

The reason I was asking about mixmaster was to see what the set of
capabilities in that space people find actually useful.