[Cryptography] Shamir’s secret sharing

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Jun 19 21:35:49 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:50 PM Adrian McCullagh <
amccullagh at odmoblawyers.com> wrote:

> Can anyone point me to any papers dealing with the issue of whether
> Shamir’s Secret Sharing scheme is quantum crypto resistant.  In particular
> if it is resistant does the resistance improve if the complexity of the
> scheme increases.  That is, with n out of t, is 2 out of 3 keys less
> resistant that say 11 out of 21?
>

> Kind Regards
>

> Adrian
>
> Dr. Adrian McCullagh
>
> Ph.D. (IT Sec) LL.B.(Hons) B. App. Sc. (Computing)
> *ODMOB* *Lawyers*
>
> *Research* *Fellow*: *Law* *Futures* *Centre*
>
> Griffith University
>

> Mobile +61 (0) 401 646 486

It doesn't matter how much compute power you have. Unless there is some
weakness in the choice of the shares, Shamir Secret Sharing is provably
secure because if you have a quorum of n shares, you have a polynomial of
degree n-1.

It takes two points to define a line, three a quadratic curve, etc. etc.
There simply isn't enough information to reconstruct the polynomial unless
you have sufficient shares.