[Cryptography] Our leader opines on cryptocurrencies

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Sat Jul 27 04:48:03 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-26 12:18 am, james hughes via cryptography wrote:
> but will
> the number of peers be enough to prevent collusion among the peers?

How many big bitcoin mining pools are there?  Probably about four that
matter.  Few enough to be worrying.

In general a board with half a dozen to a dozen or so board members
mostly avoids collusion by board members against shareholders - in part
because a board member and a big shareholder are the same sort of
people, who probably play a round of golf together from time to time,
and a big shareholder the same sort of person as many of the smaller
shareholders.

So my wild assed guess is that a hundred or so peers, with half a dozen
or a dozen or so of the peers with the biggest weight of stake delegated
to them by the biggest client wallets usually being sufficient to sign
the latest block, would probably suffice.

Each peer checks the entire blockchain, and autoforks if the rules are
broken. Each client checks that small part of the blockchain that
directs affects himself.

In order to scale, need centralization.  For users to be secure, need
decentralization.  The Paxos protocol combines the two in manner
analogous to a corporation.

---