[Cryptography] Happy birthday, DES!

Dave Howe davehowe.pentesting at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 05:07:29 EDT 2019

On 14/07/2019 22:34, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> DES was adopted at a US standard on this day in 1977; of course, you'd
> be nuts to use it these days, so at least use 3-DES at a minimum, if
> not AES.

As I understand it, all 64bit block ciphers are now considered suspect,
because sweet32. that includes 3DES

> I've heard some odd stories about DES, such as No Such Agency having a
> hand in fiddling with the S-boxes which turned out to actually
> strengthen them and what did they know that we didn't, and
> differential cryptanalysis, etc.

Yup. I think we all heard those.

Wikipedia seems to have a good overview of it (key weakening, s-box
changes, IBM knowing about differential cryptanalysis) so I won't redo
their work :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Encryption_Standard