[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: DDoS'ing PGP keys

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jul 6 22:44:54 EDT 2019

John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> writes:

>GPG croaks when it tries to process the key.

Without looking at the code, I'm guessing it'll be something like an n^2
algorithm used to process keys.  Many years ago I encountered some (not PGP)
key-processing code and fed it a largeish key collection.  Based on the fact
that the entire system ground to a halt, I asked the developers whether they
were perhaps using an n^2 algorithm to do the processing.  The following day I
got the rather sheepish answer that it wasn't n^2, it was n^3.

Peter.