[Cryptography] Voynich Manuscript

Grant Schultz gschultz at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 22 20:24:32 EST 2019

On 1/22/2019 11:00 AM,Peter Gutmann wrote,
 >I showed it to a psychologist and asked "which type of mental health
disorder could the creator of this work have?".

If the manuscript was indeed the product of someone with a mental
disorder, it is interesting that the characters/words seem to share the
statistical properties of known languages:

http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse/Courses/CS5761-SPR04/Projects/rajk0007.pdf

A follow-up question might be whether schizophrenics (etc.) typically
produce texts that follow Zipf's law, etc., the way normal languages do.
If their text is "flatter" or otherwise statistically distinct, that
would count against this theory. (I'm not able with a quick google to
find results of statistical analysis of the speech of such
individuals.)  (But it's a very creative angle to take in any case!)

Grant Schultz