[Cryptography] SSH key text format:

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jan 9 21:52:18 EST 2019

An SSH ed25519 public key in text format looks like this:
AAAAC3NzaC1lZDI1NTE5AAAAIPgXkBezz5jt2hlJwdqjJ5sbN5SlmxCYcNeNXGqMCPUf

And the corresponding private key in text format looks like this:
AAAAIAGYxPxNy0vT+BYZrhtvi8D9ZxNDQlyPccHhnz0Wi3jn

Where are these formats, and their conversion to and from binary,
defined?  Where is the source code - yes, I figure that since putty and
openssh is open source, it is somewhere in there, but perhaps I am being
stupid, since "where" is not altogether obvious to me.  Kind of hoping
to find not just the code, but the reasons for the code.

And what with the AAAA fields?