[Cryptography] Came up with a weird use case, got questions

Joshua Marpet Joshua.Marpet at guardedrisk.com
Tue Jan 8 23:28:23 EST 2019

> Let us imagine that we got millions of people to take cat pictures and
> escrow them. Then there would be an incentive to break the key.

--I have to admit, I laughed. You REALLY like cat pics!!! :)

> Establishing a quorate notary that can be trusted to sign time is rather
> easier.

--Agreed to a certain extent. In theory, this does make sense.

> Each notary would have to delegate its function to a successor
> periodically but that should not be too difficult to ensure.

--Sorry, I disagree.  This is the "practice" part that I don't think would
work. Same problem as most secret societies. First generation secret
societies are all fired up, the next generation goes, "Why are we doing
this?" and stops. Unless there is a monetization or religious reason, it's
going to fail.

> Of course there is then a real risk that the data is lost because the
> notaries don't continue their function.

--yup. Agreed.

I love what you've talked about here. I just worry about the ramifications
of depending on, effectively, secret multi-generational societies.
<scratches head> weird one. Maybe we should just set up a religion. :)