[Cryptography] Blockchain without proof of work

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 4 19:25:03 EST 2019

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com> writes:

>The number of patents is discouraging and mean that I probably face a choice
>between patenting anything I invent myself or having someone else do that.
>Someone once told me there are over a hundred US patents on technologies I
>invented that don't have my name listed as an inventor.

Or you could publish a paper on the IACR e-print archive,
https://eprint.iacr.org/curr/, or arXiv, https://arxiv.org/list/cs.CR/recent,
documenting what you've done to prevent others from claiming it.  Someone once
complained that the last page or two of a paper I'd written was "just a brain
dump of everything related to the work", which was exactly what it was
supposed to be, a description of a wide range of practical applications so
that no-one could take the theoretical part and render it into practice by way
of patents.

Peter.