[Cryptography] blake2b 160

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Jan 4 21:16:40 EST 2019

On 31/12/2018 02:23, John Pacific wrote:
> Blake2b160 only has half the collision security as blake2b256. Those are
> 2**80 and 2**128.
>
> I would consider 2**80 within "vulnerable range" of a nation state.

Well I would consider you full of hot air, unless you actually do some
resource calculations

Obviously a nation state can calculate 2^80 hashes easily enough, but in
order to find which two of them can collide would need to store and sort
2^80 hashes, which looks to me to be far beyond the resources of any
present nation state, or the likely resources of any nation state in the
reasonably foreseeable future.