[Cryptography] Crypto RNGs in 2019

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Feb 3 21:07:52 EST 2019

>From another security list:

  So I wanted to encrypt some files. Thought about using 7z+password.
  Stackexchange folks said "Didn't review it but it should be fine. You can
  browse the code yourself". So I did. After a few mins I noticed they use
  8byte "random" IV. Yes, half of IV is zeroes. But it gets worse.

  [...]

  I thought about reporting this at 7zip Sourceforge forums but then I vomited
  again when I saw a long thread of largely incoherent exchanges on how 7z
  should be using Twofish instead of AES-256 because obviously NSA backdoored
  AES back in 2001 didn't you hear

  https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1087848040583626753.html

The post closes with a good summary of how a lot of current crypto works:

  Seems typical of crypto/security code reviews in general - a bunch of folks
  fighting over which hipster encryption/hashing/signing algos to use, while
  overlooking the most obvious vulns and holes visible to anyone with half a
  brain and a few mins to spare.

Peter.