[Cryptography] generated passphrases

Patrick Chkoreff pc at fexl.com
Wed Aug 14 22:41:23 EDT 2019

Arnold Reinhold via cryptography wrote on 8/14/19 2:00 PM:

> But the reality is that almost no one is willing and able to memorize a 128-bit passphrase, indeed few will memorize an 80-bit passphrase. Any crypto currency or other security scheme that depends on people memorizing and entering very long passphrases is not going to gain wide consumer acceptance.

I don't have any problem remembering 128 bit passphrases composed of
words selected from something like Diceware.  The mnemonic technique of
stringing the words together into a bizarre mental story works well.

Of course, I also write down passphrases in various ways and keep those
documents physically secure, in case I have a really bad "senior moment"
one day.

For a login passphrase, or a passphrase that unlocks a local private
key, you might only need 4 or 5 words, with a strength of 40 to 65 bits.
 Anyone capable of handling digital currency should be also be capable
of remembering such a passphrase and writing it down reliably.

-- Patrick