[Cryptography] WireGuard

jamesd at echeque.com jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Sep 3 05:50:56 EDT 2018

On 03/09/2018 15:58, Richard Outerbridge wrote:
> What happens when I die: who revokes me?  Do identifiers expire?  Has forking been solved?
Paying, selling, and thus what happens when you die, are implementation
details.  The security problem is what happens in the simplest possible
case: when you live and you don't sell.

Forking is potentially a problem, if two people see different roots to
the Merkle tree, and thus different mappings between public keys.

Everyone wants to use the same namespace as everyone else, thus forking
is unlikely to be a problem in practice.

Suppose we use my preferred solution, a currency based on proof of stake.

And suppose a minority of stakeholders do not like the rules, and decide
to fork.  Well, they are a minority, either by numbers, or by crypto
currency wealth, power and importance, so who cares about their namespace?

In my design, any time you interact with someone to perform a
transaction, if you have been split from them by a fork, you will get an
error, so, in the event of a fork, you will soon discover there has been
a fork, and you will have an incentive to use the main branch.

Suppose the government is displeased that some people are publishing
bittorrent magnet links to copyrighted material, and forces a fork
where, in the government favored branch, the names formerly used to
publish magnet links are now mapped to the FBI.  People are going to
notice, and go with the main branch, the government disfavored branch,
where name transfers continue to be performed according to the rules
favored by the majority of stakeholders.

This may well degenerate into an argument as to how much power the
government can exercise over the internet, which our moderators have
banned for going around in circles.  But, even if the government can
successfully confiscate those names, which I doubt, it cannot intercept
communications using those names with nobody noticing.  Successfully
imposing a fork with the desired characteristics would be a big,
disruptive, and noticeable event.