[Cryptography] China Spies In SuperMicro Mobos - Exemplar #OpenFabs Required

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 21:30:18 EDT 2018

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 6:19 PM Thierry Moreau
<thierry.moreau at connotech.com> wrote

> My best attempt so far is ARM-based, ...
>
> The tradeoff is remaining proprietary aspects, including ...
> crypto accelerator (which I don't need
> given the main CPU power).

Given the power of current CPUs, the special instructions some have to
accelerate crypto, and the overheads of getting to & from a crypto
accelerator, those devices may be useless in many cases. Certainly
they are rarely necessary.

The exception is a hardware RNG which is nearly essential in many
applications. Of course it is subject to almost undetectable attack at
the design/manufacturing level, so its output should be mixed with
other entropy.