[Cryptography] Norton Password Vault

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 19:52:41 EST 2018

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 7:32 PM Andrew Haninger <ahaning at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018, 16:58 Kevin W. Wall <kevin.w.wall at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> If I had a Windows system that I could access along with Password Vault and a debugger and binary editor I might be able to patch around the attempt limits, but I have none of those. (I only run Linux and don't even have a Windows license.) That's why Plan B seems to be more realistic unless I can discover the Password Vault file format details.
>
> In case you weren't aware, modern.ie has Windows VMs you can download for free (legally).
>
> Not sure if one of these would work for your purposes, though.

I wasn't aware, so thanks. Although I suspect that I'd still have to
license a version of Norton to get a legitimate copy of Password
Vault. And if I did, I'd bet almost anything that their EULA prohibits
reverse engineering. It's not clear that only covers the code or also
their generated files, but I was hoping for something that maybe
someone had already published in terms of general file format, etc.

Thanks for everyone's help though. I will see how much work that my
client's surviving daughter who is in IT wants to do though, but at
this point--unless she views this as a healthy distraction--she likely
feels that her time is better spent elsewhere.

-kevin
--
Blog: http://off-the-wall-security.blogspot.com/    | Twitter: @KevinWWall
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.