[Cryptography] Seeking recommendations for a dedicated server/VPS provider

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Nov 9 20:09:44 EST 2018

On 2018-11-09 16:01:39 -0800 (-0800), Ron Garret wrote:
> Subject line says it all.  My server provider, which I have been
> happily using for fifteen years (Zerolag), was recently acquired
> by a Big Faceless Corporation whose people seem to be only
> marginally competent, so I am on the prowl for an alternative.  My
> baseline plan is to just use AWS because, although Amazon is the
> paragon of the Big Faceless Corporation, they are competent and
> their products Just Work the vast majority of the time.  But I’m
> willing to pay a considerable premium to be able to call a tech
> support line and have a competent human pick up the phone.  Does
> anyone here have a provider they can recommend?

If the free/libre open source software movement is important to you
and you'd rather not financially support the likes of Amazon, Google
or Microsoft, https://vexxhost.com/ (a Canadian provider though they
do also have a presence in a USA facility now) runs a very
up-to-date deployment of OpenStack and has amazingly responsive and
knowledgeable customer service. Not only do they run their service
on free software, but they participate heavily in the community
developing it and contribute valuable hosting resources to a lot of
other free software communities too. I'm a very happy customer.
--
Jeremy Stanley