[Cryptography] Police want encrypted radios

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue May 29 15:53:01 EDT 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Michael Nelson via cryptography <
cryptography at metzdowd.com> wrote:

> On May 17, 2018,  John Gilmore < gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>
> >  Do the cops' radios have backdoors built in to them?
>
> The articles I skimmed were pretty lowbrow

There must be some shared cryptographic keys or methods for the very common
multi agency
tactical adventures (asset forfeiture actions).  Multiple agency tests seem
to be focusing
on exactly this -- the secure communication problem.   It is likely these
methods are tightly held.

What is apparently missing are the legal obligations for all involved
agencies
to maintain a true transcript copy.   Missing in all discussions are side
band communications
with cell phones, voice, megaphones, voice and video recordings including
turning
the devices off at critical actions (omissions).  In addition strong
retention policy seems to be missing in
the case of fatalities or property damage as self serving edited versions
seem to be what is
released.   To compare the audio and video events of a citizen recording to
an official recording and
discover that the official version has been edited is problematic.

A cryptographic aspect surfaces with a need for a signed and dated true
copies.  Some copies
may or may not be encrypted with the specific public key of any public
requestor and
held in escrow.  Copies plural to make it more difficult to alter....

Encryption perhaps with smart contract considerations may make sense...
IBM is pursuing the business aspects of digital smart contracts for supply
chains.
Evidence has much in common with supply chain management -- evidence chain.

Encryption done correctly can allow an officer to be willing to keep the
camera
rolling because the officer knows that the data is secured and the
management of that data has
chain of custody logs and more.  Encryption might be his digital signature
or
to also hold the content as secret/ confidential.

News outlets might find value in a tool that receives, archives and logs
"true as sent to me"
copies.
Watermarks...
Forks... (copies of copies).