[Cryptography] Avoiding PGP

Walter van Holst walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 22 04:13:05 EDT 2018

On 2018-03-21 22:14, Ray Dillinger wrote:
> And they're not locked if nobody has to do anything out of the ordinary
> to get them open.

Using a key to unlock them is nothing out of the ordinary.

> I'd be perfectly happy if there were never any confusion of encrypted
> mail with unencrypted mail - in fact I'd prefer to be using entirely
> different applications for private and non-private communications, and
> rest assured that the mail program not designed for security or privacy
> simply had no access whatsoever to addresses or contacts or header
> information pertaining to messages other than the plain-vanilla SMTP
> stuff it knows how to handle.

No sane person would use that application. If anything people want more
integration between their modes of communication, not less. You can
scream that is a wish that is bad for security till you see blue in the
face.

Usability first. Without usability there is no security.

Also, please stay away from any design decisions that involves artefacts
that are going to be used by actual humans.

Sincerely,

  Walter