[Cryptography] Blockchain currencies: The Death of 1000 Cuts

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Mar 20 17:36:48 EDT 2018

[Note to moderators. I think the ship has sailed on the label
used for these currencies and this list may be the only holdout.
I have avoided the objectionable term in my writing, but am
using it in the writing of others that I quote so my quotes will
be accurate.]

The IRS decision to tax blockchain currency gains, along with
the following stories from SANS NewsBites Vol. 20 Num. 022 seem
to indicate a policy of killing them with the death of 1000 cuts.

Cheers - Bill

Ethereum Falls in Wake of SEC ICO Investigations
(March 18 & 19, 2018)
The value of Ethereum cryptocurrency fell below $500 USD over
the weekend; the cryptocurrency was trading at more than $1,400
USD in January. The drop occurred after the US Securities and
Exchange Commission (SEC) made clear that it intends to
scrutinize initial coin offerings (ICOs). Other cryptocurrencies
have taken a hit over the past several months as well.

Read more in:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/ether-plunges-after-sec-says-dozens-of-ico-investigations-underway/
http://slate.com/technology/2018/03/ethereum-prices-drop-explanation.html

---------------------------
New York State Municipality Power Companies Can Charge
Cryptocurrency Miners Higher Rates
(March 16, 2018)
The New York State Public Service Commission (PSC) has ruled
that power companies in that state may charge cryptocurrency
mining operations higher rates than other customers.
Cryptocurrency miners have been attracted to New York because of
the state's abundance of relatively inexpensive hydroelectric
power. A group of 36 New York state municipalities petitioned
the PSC to raise rated for these customers because the demands
they place on local power grids is causing rate increases for
local residents. Unlike other industries that may consume larger
amounts of power, cryptocurrency mining does not bring economic
development to the municipalities in which it operates.

Read more in:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/new-york-power-companies-can-now-charge-bitcoin-miners-more/
http://www.utilitydive.com/news/munis-to-charge-bitcoin-miners-higher-power-prices-in-new-york/519275/
http://www3.dps.ny.gov/pscweb/WebFileRoom.nsf/Web/52BF38680307E75E85258251006476F0/$File/pr18018.pdf

Bill Frantz        | Can't fix stupid, but duct   | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | tape can muffle the sound... | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |               - Bill Liebman | Los Gatos,
CA 95032