[Cryptography] Apple Group FaceTime and end-to-end and encryption

Stefano Quintarelli stefano at quintarelli.it
Thu Jun 7 08:22:00 EDT 2018

On 06/06/2018 12:51, Jerry Leichter wrote:
> Anyone know anything yet about how Apple is doing this?  (One would think they would have patented the techniques needed....)

I guess they do what players like vidyo and zoom have been doing.
they use SVC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Video_Coding ;
clients communicate to the MCU which stream they want to receive.
the low quality stream is ok for thumbnalis, once the user wants to
enlarge a specific video stream, they request the full quality stream.

I would suspect all streams are encrypted with the same key and that key
is shared wncrypted with each user using their key pairs

IMHO

ciao, s.