[Cryptography] Security model of blockchains ?

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Mon Jun 4 14:24:18 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jun 02, 2018 at 04:27:32PM -0400, John Levine wrote:

> It is my impression that blockchains generally assume a flat mostly
> reliable connection among nodes.

Oh, they assume a *lot* more than that, but yes there's definitely an
assumption of resources available consistently only in North America
and parts of Europe.

> This paper says that 13 ISPs host 30% of the whole Bitcoin network,
> and 60% of connections cross three ISPs.  I wonder who and where
> those three are.

No doubt they truly believe themselves to be untraceable due to piping
the majority of their traffic through Tor, but I'm pretty sure that
global sales figures for GPU sales coupled with regional electricity
consumption ought to be able to locate the lot of them quite
effectively.  ;)

Regards,
Ben