[Cryptography] how to encrypt for the very long term?

Mike Lisanke mikelisanke at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 23:10:15 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer <
calestyo at scientia.net> wrote:

> Hey.
>
> I'm basically looking into encryption of (backup) files for the very
> long term (like at least 20 years).
>
> The basic scenario is as follows: arbitrary files in the 20-30 TiB
> range are backuped with dar (which splits into much smaller slices) and
> put on tape.
>
> Ideally, the whole thing should be resilient against data corruption,
> e.g. if some bytes of the tape are lost, the remainder of the encrypted
> file can still be decrypted (dar tries to recover from such broken
> archives),... however this shouldn't go at the cost of security.

We are taught the only provably secure cryptography is a random key as
large as your data which Xor produces perfect encryption. A book cipher is
a simplification
as a book is not random data. If you use a generator for your randomness,
it's not random. If you use a random data source, collect enough for your
entire data, and
have a secure place to place this random key, then, In Theory, your
cryptography will remain secure forever... or until you lose (or misplace)
the random key.

--
Best regards,  Mike