[Cryptography] storage encryption

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Sun Jul 15 12:28:06 EDT 2018

Hi Folks:

Suppose there was a low-budget or no-budget activist group
that wanted to share documents via one of the cloud storage
services.  Obviously one wants to add a layer of encryption.

Question:  Has anybody we trust evaluated cryptomator for
security and/or ease-of-use?
  https://cryptomator.org/

Anything else?

Are any of the closed-source solutions any good?  There
are plenty of pricey solutions.  Also quite a few that are
free but closed source, which remind me of the proverb:
«You're not the customer, you're the product.»

Is there some better way of approaching the whole group
collaboration issue?

I reckon there are extreme human-factors issues here,
because security requires getting everybody (and I do
mean everybody) on the team to follow the rules.  It's
not very effective to threaten volunteers that they'll
be fired if they break the rules.

I am also aware of the zeroth law, which says:
«If you don't have physical security, you don't have security.»
So the whole security problem might be impossible even
before we get to the crypto.  Sigh.