[Cryptography] US contemplating its p0wn Great FireWall for 5G

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:53:53 EST 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:33 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 01/29/2018 03:00 AM, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
>
>> Clarity is impossible, since Twitter's censorship, unlike China's, is
>> itself censored.
>
> We are not on twitter.  You can say clearly what you think twitter
> is censoring here.  I myself have never twat, so I'm curious.
>
> But this was perfectly obvious and reminding you of it makes me wonder
> if perhaps you intended to communicate something other than what you said.

While I've never tried this (I'd rather ignore people, or maybe just
mute them or block them), Twitter does have a 'Report this tweet'
mechanism. I suspect that if they get at least multiple reports, then
they in turn presumably have some human make a judgement call
regarding whether they believe there is a violation of their ToS.

As far as simple censorship of racism, sexism, cursing, what have you,
they most definitely do NOT do that. I think they rely on the Twitter
community to report the egregious tweets. I've heard there supposedly
is an appeals process too if you ever get censored. I've not been
censored / banned, so I can't speak definitely about that either.

That said, I would say that Twitter is not for the faint of heart. I'm
on it because that's where much of the early breaking security-related
news is, but the overall attitude (at least of those I follow) seems
to be rather snarky compared to other social networks like Facebook or
LinkedIn. Also a lot more trolling than other places. If you are
easily offended, then Twitter is not a social network that you should
probably subscribe to.

-kevin
--
Blog: http://off-the-wall-security.blogspot.com/    | Twitter: @KevinWWall
NSA: All your crypto bit are belong to us.