[Cryptography] RISC-V isn't the answer

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 22 09:30:05 EST 2018

At 06:22 PM 1/21/2018, Tony Arcieri wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
>Ok, so I've reviewed a number of discussions of
>the RISC-V architecture, and my conclusion is that
>RISC-V isn't going to be a "silver bullet" for
>high security & privacy applications.
>
>Why?
>
>Although RISC-V was a "clean sheet" design in
>2011 (?), a lot of water has gone under the
>bridge since then (cough, Snowden, cough),
>
>So FUD?
>
>I don't believe that RISC-V adequately
>addresses all of the side-channel issues that
>have been discovered in the mean time.
>
>Which sidechannel issues?  If you're alluding to Meltdown and Spectre, RISC-V isn't vulnerable to either, because no RISC-V core supports speculative execution yet (the closest thing is the BOOMv2 core, which only does out-of-order execution)

Timing side-channels, at least.

RISC-V caches aren't partitioned, or controllable in any other way to defeat timing attacks from one process against another process running on the same core.

As I said before, every plaintext compression attack can be translated into a timing attack against a processor with a cache, since the cache "compresses" the memory reference stream.  RISC-V does nothing to address (!) this issue.

I'm not interested in squashing bugs like Meltdown and Spectre one by one -- it's far too expensive.  We need to squash entire classes of bugs with one swat, and this means learning from experiences like plaintext compression attacks.