[Cryptography] Happy birthday, Edgar Allan Poe!

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 18 21:24:16 EST 2018

In article <alpine.BSF.2.21.1801190911420.74252 at aneurin.horsfall.org> you write:
>A horror writer born on this day in 1809, his book "The Gold Bug" had
>crypto as a theme; it's a good read, and is available online for free
>(hopefully it's legal, but I won't give the URL in case it isn't).

Good lord, it was written in 1843.  Even with the current absurd
copyright laws, anything published before 1923 is in the public
domain.

It's a short story, not a book, originally published in a magazine.

Here's a nice copy from 1889 in a collection of stories:

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Gold_Bug.html?id=gJIMAQAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover

R's,
John