[Cryptography] Speculation considered harmful?

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Jan 9 18:44:35 EST 2018

On 1/9/18 at 11:42 AM, leichter at lrw.com (Jerry Leichter) wrote:

>Capability-based systems are the ultimate development along
>these lines, but represent a radical departure from current
>system designs.  Perhaps we can get some of their power without
>giving up all compatibility with existing code.

When we developed the S370 version of KeyKOS, a capability OS,
we developed on a running KeyKOS system. We used IBM's CMS
system -- a part of VM/370 -- which ran using some code we wrote
called a "CP Simulator". The CP Simulator was like a virtual
machine monitor for a single virtual machine. It simulated the
privileged CPU operations and provided I/O support, including
simulated disks for CMS storage and access to real tape drives
for backup and recovery.

When we talked with people about Unix compatibility, we always
asked, "How compatible does it have to be." After a
conversation, the answer was almost always, "Bug for bug
compatible." If you are bug for bug compatible, it's hard to
improve the security.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | gets() remains as a monument | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | to C's continuing support of | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | buffer overruns.             | Los Gatos,
CA 95032