[Cryptography] Crypto for optimistic transactions ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Jan 6 16:04:51 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Howard Chu <hyc at symas.com> wrote:

> Tom Mitchell wrote:
>
>> A third landmark goal is to design hardware that does not take the 5-35%
>> perf hit.  Whoever solves this
>> first will sell a lot of hardware including motherboard and DRAM makers.
>>  But this will put a chill on
>> sales for months.
>>

> That 5-35% number is the effect of the patches to mitigate Meltdown, which
> primarily affects Intel (and also ARM's Cortex-A75).

AMD clearly demonstrates that there's a right way to handle things, since
> their chips don't have this problem. <http://www.openldap.org/project/>

Yes.
At one point the changes to address the Intel problem were being checked in
with no hardware check.   Since the kernel image for most architectures is
the
same and designed to run on all flavors the initial hit will be seen by all
if they
get a generic kernel update.

I know how to boot an older kernel and I suspect AMD Linux users will do
this
but some managers will not be able to sort the issues well enough to decide.

What a pain...

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l